Sunday, September 25, 2005

That fall feeling

I should have recognized it Friday evening when I was reading on the couch with a blanket. But it wasn't until yesterday when I was cold getting out of the shower that it sunk in. Fall is here! I instinctively reached for jeans and a sweater to wear to my doctor's appointment and it just seemed like a natural thing to walk along 5th avenue to the Met instead of taking the subway. And I could smell that scent of decaying leaves and something else intangible too. At the farmers' market the squash were eyeing me temptingly but I decided to start slow with just some Macoun apples. There's plenty of time for squash yet. I haven't even seen any changing leaves, aside from those few that shock you in August as a reminder of school beginning again soon. Maybe I would have seen some if I had actually ventured inside the park.

Anyway, I was at the Met to look at the Greek art in preparation to take my class there. This is the first time that I've really studied the Minoans and Mycenaens so it was cool to see the pottery and jewelry that I'd been reading about in person. These people really existed 4000 some years ago. It's so hard to fathom, sometimes. What would life have been like for a bull-leaping Minoan acrobat?

No comments: