Wednesday, September 07, 2005

They're not mine anymore

Some of my first graders from last year, intently studying . . .


can you see that? A pig! Our trip to the farm/petting zoo.

So, the first day of school came and went. And it wasn't as bad as my nightmare last night would have me think. I enjoyed working with my "new" third graders (I've had them before as first graders) but I realized I missed my old class (mostly pictured above). By June I'm always ready to be free of them but then in September when they're taller and wiser and moved on, I miss them. Sure, they'll call their new teacher my name for the first few days and some of them came and gave me hugs at snack time but for the most part, they're gone. You bond with them so intensely for the school year and then everything changes over the summer.

I suppose it's similar in my "adult life", which always threatens to disappear about now. Seasons of welcoming in and letting go mix together.

2 comments:

yoshjosh said...

That's a big pig.

Rebecca O said...

Yay, you figured out pictures, I knew you could do it. I'll be by most days to see what's happening in your life. Blogs make everyone feel so much closer.