Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Knitting and beets

I spent a lot of energy and thought yesterday on both subjects. I've joined this Knitalong thing which I think is basically an online group that works through a knitting pattern together, posting questions, comments, photos etc. I'm pretty excited about it because it's a complicated pattern (cables and lace) and the yarn looks beautiful. First I have to finish this scarf I'm doing for Hope for NY's homeless knitting project but I think it's almost done. The hard part will be not starting on the new project until September!

As for beets, since I got my CSA veggies yesterday, I decided to make a beet and beet greens salad with feta which I've made before. Well, for some reason, the beets took extra long to roast and the water in the bottom of the pan evaporated. I kept checking them and they just seemed so hard still after 1 hour and 15 minutes. So finally I yanked them out of the pan, wrapped them in foil and put them in for 10 minutes at a higher temp. I think that's the only way I'll make them from now on. And then peeling them took forever too so once the salad was finally ready, I didn't really feel like eating it. Maybe they'll taste better today since they won't be tainted by all that labor. According to Martha, I should rub them with a paper towel to peel them. Live and learn.

No comments: